- Borough Committees
- Public Works (Highway / Water & Sewer)
Public Works (Highway / Water & Sewer)
- 4 pm
- 3rd Wednesday of every month via Zoom
Virtual Meeting Link
Upcoming Meeting Agenda
- Roy Anders, Chair
Email Roy Anders
- Chad Balliet
- Brent Labenberg
The Public Works Committee shall have the responsibility for oversight of the water service, municipal sewer system, and the roads and highways, as set forth more specifically in the following:
- The Committee shall provide oversight and guidance for the opening, construction, grading, paving of all streets, alleys, pavements, curbs, gutter, and street crossings, the construction and repairing of all bridges, sewers and culverts and the regulation of all water courses, storm water detention or retention facilities. The said Committee shall, in conjunction with the Borough Engineer, have prepared all plans and specifications for any of the aforesaid work, as may be required, and furnish Council with estimates of the cost thereof. Any such construction or work shall not be undertaken unless and until it is approved by the Borough Council in accordance with the appropriate provisions of the Borough Code.
- The Committee shall further have responsibility for the Borough garages, grounds use for storage of highway supplies, and all equipment purchased for highway use.
- Water Service
- The Committee shall provide oversight and guidance of the municipal water works and the entire water system which responsibility shall extend to the care and maintenance of such apparatus and shall be responsible for visitations and inspections of the said apparatus, fire plugs, and other outlets, determination of their condition and shall require the same to be in a state of readiness for service at all times; the Committee shall require the regular testing of water and water supplies as required by law and shall recommend to the Council water rates and require the preparation of and sending of all water bills, the provisions of said bills as to time. Hearings upon appeal and adjustments shall likewise be under the original jurisdiction of said Committee as governed by the Pennsylvania Administrative Procedures Act. The Committee shall, whenever required, with the assistance of the Borough Water Engineering Consultant (which shall be designated and appointed by Council), require the preparation of the plans and the specifications for any work whatsoever in this department and shall present the same to Council for any necessary approval.
- The Committee shall provide oversight and guidance of the municipal sewer system, which responsibility shall extend to the care and maintenance of such systems and shall, by visitations and inspections of said system whenever and wherever possible, determine their condition and require the same to be in a reasonable state of repair for fulfillment of its functional purpose at all times; and shall require a regular testing of the system and the system’s supplies and shall recommend to Council sewerage rates and require the preparation and sending of all sewerage bills in conjunction with the water bills as set forth by the Borough Ordinance. Hearings and appeals of such bills and adjustments thereof shall be under the original jurisdiction of the said Committee, operating under the procedures of the Pennsylvania Administrative Procedures Act. The Committee shall, whenever required, with the assistance of the Borough Sewer Engineering Consultant (which shall be designated by Council), require the preparation of plans and specifications for any work whatsoever within this department and shall present the same to Council for any necessary approvals.
- The Committee shall provide oversight and guidance to direct the Public Works Department to make any and all repairs to Borough-owned and non-Borough owned buildings and properties as identified by the General Administration Committee and by Borough staff. The Committee shall provide oversight and guidance to the responsibility of day to day maintenance of all Borough-owned structures and properties.
The Public Works Committee shall provide oversight and guidance to the Director of Public Works over all personnel in the Public Works Department of the Borough of Emmaus.
Oversight of Hiring Positions
The Public Works Committee shall have further oversight of conducting initial interviews for the position of Public Works Director and Assistant Public Works Director. The Committee shall refer the narrowed list to be interviewed by the entire Borough Council. The Committee shall have further oversight of hiring all full-time Public Works employees. The Department Manager and Borough Manager shall conduct the first round interview and shall narrow the list of eligible candidates to the Committee.
The Committee shall conduct final interviews and make formal recommendations to Borough Council for an appointment. In regards to hiring part-time employees, the Borough Manager and Department Manager shall conduct all interviews and refer to Council for appointment of all part-time and seasonal employees.